, , , , , ,

Welcome to February everyone! I know I’m a little late on posting but what can I do. January is all done and I thought I would inform you about how my training went.

As some of you may know, I am currently training for the 30k around the bay road race. It is at the beginning of April so I’ve got about two months left for training. I can’t believe how fast it is coming.

January training has not gone as well as I hoped it would. Last year, I had trouble training because of the nasty January weather; it just made it very hard to be motivated to spend time outside. This year, everything was going great until January 19th. I had a cold that knocked me out for about two weeks. I usually don’t get sick often, and when I do, it’s normally for 5 days maximum. Being out for two weeks made me wonder if I was dying… haha just kidding.

Anyways, I had a rough two weeks. I was also marking labs, and running lab sessions despite having no voice. Normally I can run through being sick but because it was in my throat, it wouldn’t have been a good idea. I was also exhausted and skipped my soccer game. Being sick lead to this outfit

2016-01-30 21.44.12

Jammies and slippers.

Basically, I missed out on two weeks of running. But I did manage to hit the rest of my runs.

Total mileage: 71.7 miles

I also ran in my first race of the year! It was on January 31st and it was at the very tail end of my cold. I had low expectations since I was not fully recovered yet and wasn’t sure if I would have the energy to properly race. The race was put on by MEC. It was the first race in that race series I paid into.

It was called the “MEC Race below zero” and it was supposed to take place out at Rideau Carleton Raceway, which is a horse race track. The plan was to start and finish on the race track where the horses run. HOWEVER, it was so warm that we couldn’t! A few days before the race, we received an email from the race director saying it was going to damage the track since it would be above freezing. They did a great job of rerouting the race and keeping the distance correct even though it was a last minute change.

Anyways, the race was either 5k or 10k. I had opted for 10k (I was wishing I had signed up for the 5k after being so sick…). We got there early and I met up with my dad before the start. He was coming off a knee problem and was finally ready to run again. We didn’t run together because I have been training more (since I wasn’t hurt) and he didn’t want to slow me down.

Here’s a picture from the start of the race.

2016-01-31 08.34.29

I’m in the purple outfit with the light purple headband.

The course was out and back on a slightly snow covered side road. I hit the 5k turnaround in 29:30ish, which was better than I was expecting. I knew if I could keep it up, I would finally have a 10k time under one hour. So I kept trucking.

2016-01-31 09.31.15Here I am! The race was pretty spread out at this point. I swear I didn’t come in last.

2016-01-31 09.31.40

Coming through the finish line! I love how happy the volunteer looks. There were definitely some great volunteers out there that morning. It’s not fun to stand in the cold and cheer for strangers but they did a great job.

2016-01-31 09.31.42.jpgThis is when I realized my time. I managed to crack an hour! My watch said 59:34 (they only have gun time listed in the race results). One of my goals for the upcoming running year was to finally race under an hour, and I did. I believe that I would have been even faster had I not been sick, but this was an achievement nonetheless!


My PRs are finally coming along. Now to correct my marathon time….

That’s all I have to say about January! No races coming up this month. The plan is to stick to the training schedule and try not to freeze while doing so!